Trips

Sunday 3 February 2013

7th Day of our Trek to Everest Base Camp


It's my 50th birthday today and I'm living my dream.........
We woke to a freezing room, zips, cream, baby wipes, water all frozen it was really hard to get motivated but you have no choice. Woke feeling just as bad as when I went to bed and it wasn't long before I was in tears, not sure why I think it was everything the cold, not feeling well, very tired and the not being able to wash. Sally is a tower of strength and gets me going, got 2 birthday cards as well, so thank you Sally, Karen and Izzy xx
Couldn't eat any breakfast as feeling so down after being upset. So off we go again, it's very cold but the sun is out but got more layers of clothes on. It was a great walk, along side the glacier and then walked over it, shadowed by the mountains. The glacier is amazing sight, all the rich colours of blue and white. Feeling exhausted again when we arrived at Gorak Shep at 5110 meters and hungry. Had a bowl of soup and shared some chips, wanted to have a lie down but only had 45 minutes before we were leaving for the walk up to view point where was hoping to see the sunset over Everest. I started off ok but after a couple of hours of climbing up the side do a mountain I had enough and headed back down, which left Sally and guide to head to the top. Got back to the guest house where the stove was roaring and I had a hot lemon and waited for their return. They got back at 6.10 and we all sat around the fire. 
Still feeling very tired but more positive about tomorrow as we are heading for base camp which is about a 4 hour walk, some flat and a lot up hill. Then returning to Gorak Shep for lunch, we are hiking further down the valley to get out of the high altitude. 
I just don't care anymore what I look or smell like, so at bedtime I just took my boots and jacket off and got in my sleeping bag. My jacket went in bag as well so when I got up after a -30 degree sleep I just put boots and jacket on and off we went. Went to bed feeling a bit unwell but I think it's mountain sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment